Table of Contents
Please don't use this wiki for things that are not specifically related to web development, use the wiki.transitionnetwork.org site.
Welcome to Transition Technology
This is the web development management site for the Transition Network it is used for tickets, documentation, time and code management.
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.
Frequently accessed tickets
Feel free to add / remove items from this list:
Trac Wiki and Tickets
We use Trac for time and ticket management.
- This wiki uses CamelCase for pages, don't create all lower case page names or pages with underscores or dashes in them as this breaks automatic links.
See TransitionTrac for Transition Trac information including ticket management and time management.
Trac ticket usernames are cases sensitive, all the current usernames are all lower case, the current, main, people using this site are:
- ade -
- chris - sysadmin
- ed -
- laura - WordPress
- ben -
- sam -
- paul - Drupal developer,
- annesley -
Trac usernames cannot be changed, see TracUserAdmin for creating new accounts and changing passwords.
Our documentation of the main Transition Network website covers everything you need if you're a designer or developer on the Transition Technologists Team.
Don't do anything without reading the docs first :)
Servers and Websites
- ParrotServer the WordPress server, commissioned in April 2013
- REconomy Project ReconomyWordPress http://www.reconomy.org/
- Transition Town Totnes TransitionTownTotnesWordPress http://www.transitiontowntotnes.org/
- Transition Streets Totnes TransitionStreetsWordPress http://www.transitionstreets.org.uk/
- Transition Culture Archive TransitionCultureWordPress http://www.transitionculture.org/
- PenguinServer the non-drupal server, commissioned in January 2013
- Transition Research Network Patterns TransitionResearchWagn http://patterns.transitionresearchnetwork.org/
- Wiki MediaWiki https://wiki.transitionnetwork.org/
- Stats PiwikServer web stats https://stats.transitionnetwork.org/
- Tickets TransitionTrac this site https://tech.transitionnetwork.org/
- Archived static sites on PenguinServer
Services provided: Data, Views & API
Git & Release Process
NOTE: We have migrated to Git and the repository is hosted on GitHub.
For information on how to use the Git repository and the process we use for releases to the various servers, please see BoaCodeManagement.
The Transition Technology group works like a free / open source software project, we do most our activity in public, on this wiki and ticketing system. The key meetings are documented on the web project blog.
Other channels of communication are:
- TTech List, this list has closed archives.
- Skype, but we are looking for a replacement, see ticket:676
- #transition IRC channel, on freenode see the web interface
- We are about to trial https://pad.riseup.net/p/ttech, a hosted etherpad tool, for a virtual get together, so that the team can ask questions and get answers. All content will be collected at the the end of the session and captured on our trac wiki
Some background documents on how open projects work:
- Shareable: How to Integrate Open Collaboration into Your Project
- Wikipedia: Open-source software development
- Daniel G. Siegel: Typical development processes of free and open source software projects
- Ryan Tomayko: Your team should work like an open source project
- Widget structure: https://wiki.transitionnetwork.org/Sharing_Engine/Widget_structure
- Drupal module, theme and feature: https://wiki.transitionnetwork.org/Sharing_Engine/Drupal_code:_a_module,_a_feature_and_a_theme
- Technical workflow & business logic: https://wiki.transitionnetwork.org/Sharing_Engine/Technical_workflow_%26_business_logic
International Initiative Registration Service (IIRS)
- Landing page: https://tech.transitionnetwork.org/trac/wiki/IIRS
- DomainNames -- DNS notes
- SecurityInfo -- notes on testing the HTTPS SSL certificates
- PiwikServerInstall -- PiwikServer web stats server install notes
- LoadTimes -- somewhere to document how long the site takes to load
- MaintenanceTasks -- somewhere to document ongoing maintenance tracking
- LennyToSqueeze -- notes on upgrading debian
- SqueezeToWheezy -- notes on upgrading debian
- AptitudeUpdateScript -- a-up and logchanges -- scripts to update packages and record the updates in the Changelog
- XenShell -- Notes on console access to the virtual servers
- MetcheCleanScript -- a script to delete old metche backups
- WordPress -- documentation for the Wordpress sites
- TransitionMaintenance -- monthly maintenance process, budget and ticket reports
- AwStatsInstall -- notes on how awstats was installed
- RamUsage -- notes on the allocation and usage of RAM by the virtual servers
- ErrorCodeCheck -- a script to check the Nginx logs for error codes and email the results daily
- WebServerLogs -- notes on analysing web server logs
- ServerBandwidth -- bandwidth stats from the XenShell
- StrategyConsultation -- draft response to https://www.transitionnetwork.org/strategy-consultation
- ArchivingSites -- notes on things to consider when archiving sites
- TransitionNetworkEmail -- notes on the United Hosting email service on transitionnetwork.org
- AgileBackup -- bash rsync script for doing backups of servers
- IpDrop -- script to drop abusive IP addresses
- MysqlBackup -- script to backup databases
PuffinServerthe drupal live server for www.transitionetwork.org, commissioned in February 2013, deleted on 20th September 2016 NewLiveServer-- documentation about the old live server, quince.transitionnetwork.org which was switched off on 28th February 2013 DevelopmentServer-- documentation about the old development server, kiwi.transitionnetwork.org, which ran this Trac site LiveServer-- documentation about the old server at gaiahost.coop